HOME COMFORT ENERGY TIPS YOU CAN USE
Try these simple tips to make your home run more efficiently, reduce costs and maximize your comfort.
Tips you can use to reduce your energy costs and maximize home comfort!
We've all been there. Anticipating the time when the energy bill comes in the winter or summer. Knowing you've been running the Air Conditioning or heater continuously. These tips will help to reduce energy costs and let you get back to business and enjoy your comfort.
- Consider a "set it and forget it" programmable thermostat to automatically turn down the heat based on the times you are normally sleeping or away from home to save on energy cost and peace of mind.
- Reducing the temperature on your thermostat by just one degree can save up to 3 percent off your home heating bill. By keeping the temperature down while you are sleeping, you could save an additional 10%.
- Energystar.gov reports, as the second largest energy user in the home, heating water accounts for approximately 15% of a home's energy use. High efficiency water heaters use 10 to 50% less energy than standard models, saving home owners money on their utility bills.
- Plugging air leaks is a quick and easy way to save money and be more energy efficient. A house that is well-sealed is 20% more energy efficient.
- Check that ducts are properly insulated, especially those that pass through the attic.
- Check for leaks and air loss in the ductwork at joints.
- Clean or replace filters on furnaces and air conditioners once a month or as recommended.
- Close off unused rooms and close vents in those rooms.
- Move furniture away from heating registers to prevent blocks in airflow.
- Find out what maintenance is required to keep your heating systems operating efficiently, and schedule maintenance seasonally.
- Avoid disposing fats or cooking oils down the drain as they can clog pipes and increase future repair bills.